--By Sara
Some days, I really need to write.
But I really also need to do laundry, clean bathrooms, figure out what I will serve my people for dinner, and clean toothpaste off of walls. (Really, how do they manage to get the toothpaste all the way up there?) I have found it difficult to separate myself from the housework when I'm home, so this fall I decided to write in two days on my calendar per month devoted solely to writing--days that I would physically leave the house and hunt down an office space. Standard go-tos are Starbucks, Panera, or a local cafe in our neighborhood. But now I have a new favorite spot.
In the spring, a friend introduced to me to this gem: the Lanier Theological Library in Houston, Texas. Just stepping foot onto its grounds drops my getting-kids-to-school-blood-pressure by at least ten points. I've been there three times in October already.
I sit in a beautiful room in this comfy writing nook for four to five hours. Completely alone. In utter silence.
I meet my word count goals and come home to the mess I left behind, but with my writing goal accomplished I (usually) feel more inclined to get a few things done around the house, and I don't have the pressing weight of "I-need-to-get-my-writing-in" swirling through my mind.
Bonus: The library happens to be about two miles from my favorite restaurant (P.F. Chang's!), so when I plan it right, I'm able to meet a friend for a late lunch on the way home.
Do you have a favorite writing spot? Comment with a photo! I'd love to see where other writers tuck themselves away to write!


No comments:
Post a Comment